About The Deepings
The Deepings is used locally to refer to the towns and villages of
The first two of these are now joined together to form one larger area which is really a small town but have independent town or parish councils. Together with West Deeping, some couple of miles to the West, they are in the area administered by South Kesteven District Council. Deeping St. Nicholas, six miles to the East is in South Holland District Council's area. All three being in the county of Lincolnshire. Deeping Gate, although only literally a stone's throw from Deeping St. James, is just across the River Welland in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough's administration.
The name "Deeping" reflects the low-lying nature of the land which has been inhabited since pre-historic times. Evidence of salt pans have been found in the area and the Roman Carr Dyke passes though Market Deeping on its way from Peterborough to the River Witham. Henry III granted William Briwer the right to hold a market and in 1304 Joan Wake, wife of the Black Prince, was granted a charter to hold the market. The permission to hold the market results in the change of name from East Deeping to Market Deeping. The monks from Crowland built a chapel which was converted to the parish church of St. Guthlac's in 1170 and parts of the present church date from the 13th. and 14th centuries. Deeping St.James has the Priory Church but remained a farming community whereas the commercial area grew up around the Market Place, Church St. M.D. and High Street. It is this area which is now the conservation area and said to be amongst the County's finest Georgian streets.
How to find us
Looking at the map, find where the A15, Peterborough to Sleaford Road, crosses the B1525 (was A16), Stamford to Spalding Road and that's Market Deeping.
Click Here for a local map.